The first Sunday in September is Father’s Day in Australia. Father’s Day is celebrated worldwide to recognise the important contribution that fathers and father figures make to the lives of their children. This day celebrates fatherhood and male parenting. To celebrate Father’s Day we held a family feast for Justin’s father (and mother). My father (and mother) couldn’t join us as they were overseas enjoying the European sunshine. Our magnificent lunch featured this amazing Roasted Cauliflower Salad and an exotic Moroccan Beef, Eggplant & Chickpea Bake. Thank you to McKenzie’s Foods for the recipe.
- Serves 6-8
- Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
Cook’s tip: McKenzie’s SuperBlend Protein mix is a fascinating mix of red lentils, French style lentils, white quinoa and de-hydrated beans. This versatile powerhouse of pulses and grains adds a good dose of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals to soups, casseroles and salads like this Roasted Cauliflower Salad. It also makes the most Extraordinary Porridge
- 1 cup (190g / 6.7 oz) McKenzie’s SuperBlend Protein mix
- 600g (1.3 lbs) cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (60g / 2 oz) crunchy golden Californian walnuts
- 60g (2 oz) feta, crumbled
- ½ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons currants (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Place SuperBlend mix in a small saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Clamp the lid on the saucepan, turn off the heat and allow to sit for 12 minutes until beans are tender. Spread onto an oven tray and refrigerate until required.
- Toss cauliflower with oil, cumin seeds, lemon zest and salt in a large bowl. Spread onto a lined baking tray and cook for 25 minutes, tossing once during cooking. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, place walnuts onto a baking tray and cook for 8 minutes until starting to turn golden. Remove from oven, cool and roughly chop.
- To serve, on a large serving plate, layer the SuperBlend, followed by baby spinach and roasted cauliflower, then crumble the fetta, scatter the walnuts, and sprinkle the parsley over the salad. Just before serving, drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- To prepare the dressing: combine extra virgin oil, lemon juice, vinegar and currants in a small glass jar with a lid. Shake to combine. Pour over salad ingredients.
(if you copy this image, please link it to this website)
- Delish factor: 4 out of 5 stars
- Not suitable to freeze.
If you make this Roasted Cauliflower Salad recipe let me know how it turned out. Leave a comment below and/or share an image of your creation on social media @janettebridger or #beanthinkingaboutpulses